Decrease text sizeIncrease text size


There are a number of funding options available to individuals and families including:

  • Special Services at Home (SSAH)
  • Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD)
  • Autism Spectrum Disorder Respite funding
  • Passport Funding
  • ODSP


This program helps families who are caring for a child with a developmental or physical disability, as well as adults with a developmental disability.

It helps families pay for special services in the home or outside the family home as long as the individual is not receiving support from a residential program. For example, the family can hire someone to help their child:

  • learn new skills and abilities, such as improving their communications skills
  • participate in more daily living activities on their own

Families can also get money to pay for services that will give them a break (or “respite”) from the day-to-day care of their child.

For more information including how to apply:


If you are a parent caring for a child with special needs, you may be able to receive some financial help.

The Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities program helps parents with some of the extra costs of caring for a child who has a severe disability.

A parent or a legal guardian whose child is under 18 years of age lives at home, and has a severe disability may be eligible to receive help under this program depending on the family’s income.

For more information, including how to apply:

ASD Respite

These funds are allocated directly to families. The purpose is to provide respite for families with children under 18, who have a confirmed diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder. The family caregivers are responsible for managing the funds provided to them, and for hiring their own independent service providers.

For more information about obtaining respite support through this funding model, please contact C.S.B.D. at 613-966-7413.

Passport Funding

Passport is a program that helps adults 18 years or older with a developmental disability to participate in their communities.  It also helps caregivers of an adult with a developmental disability take a break from caregiving responsibilities.

Passport provides funding for services and supports so adults with a developmental disability can:

  • take part in community classes or recreational programs
  • develop work, volunteer, and daily life skills
  • hire a support worker
  • create their own life plans (this is called person-directed planning) to reach their goals
  • get temporary respite for their caregivers

Individuals who are receiving income supports from the Ontario Disability Support Program can also apply.

Participants in Passport can live independently or in supportive living. Priority is given to applicants who are living at home with their families.

For more information:


The Ontario Disability Support Program helps people with disabilities who are in need of financial assistance for living expenses, like food and housing. The program provides eligible people with financial help or help finding a job. The Ontario Disability Support Program is managed and delivered by the Ministry of Community and Social Services.

For more information, including how to apply:

Check out our new workshops for Autism Services